Sunday, July 19, 2015

Lemony Thai Iced Tea



Happy Sunday Evening!

It's been crazy hot here in Southern Ontario the last few days, and I've been browsing Pinterest to find some new icy bevvies to try! 

I have to admit that until yesterday I'd NEVER heard of Thai iced tea.  I know, I live under my own special little rock. 

I know about it now though!!
(I think Thai iced tea is going to become a regular treat around here.)

I started out looking at the recipe from this fabulous blog whiteonricecouple

I didn't however have any of the special tea they use, and I really wasn't too fussy on the idea of food colouring in tea...at all. 

So, I improvised, and I'm really happy with my outcome. :)





I used Typhoo tea...should it be THAI-FOO???  Hahahahaa!!!
What's that?  I shouldn't count on a career in comedy? 
Noted.

I decided on using some lemon essential oil too.  I love lemon in iced tea, and lemon goes beautifully with creamy stuff...so it seemed worth the risk.  Turns out, it was definitely worth the risk!  

The way I have made this you can opt to leave out the lemon or add it to each serving.  I just had a thought...wonder what lemongrass EO would be like in this?  I have another recipe to share soon with lemongrass and ginger essential oils in it. YUM!


 How this works is you make the concentrate, then add the creamy lemony goodness to each serving when you pour it all over a mess of ice. 


It's like ombre tea!
I just love watching it mix. Reminds me of the fun of Shirley Temples as a kid. 




So, if you want to try Thai iced tea, and you don't want crazy yellow food colouring, or don't have easy access to an Asian market to get the special blend, here's The Pure Oil version of 
Thai iced tea.


Recipe for concentrate

Ingredients:
4 tea bags (I used Typhoo)
1 Liter of water
1/2 cup to 3/4 cup raw cane sugar
(I used 3/4 cup as per the instructions on the blog above, but next time I'll try with a rounded half cup)
1-2 tablespoons of pure vanilla extract
(I added this becuase the comments were that there was a subtle vanilla flavour to the thai tea blend, and this adds that subtle vanilla flavour very nicely.)

Directions:
Bring 1 Liter of water to a rolling boil in stainless steel saucepan.  Add raw cane sugar and tea bags and stir until sugar is completely dissolved. Cover saucepan and turn off stove element, leaving to steep for at least 5 minutes. 

In 1 Liter canning jar add 1-2 tablespoons of pure vanilla extract (oops! forgot to include this in the photo!)

Pull tea bags out of the pot and squeeze excess sweet tea out of them. Compost tea bags, and pour the concentrate into the canning jar and allow to cool before refrigerating. 

To make a glass of sweet Lemony Thai Iced Tea

Fill glass with ice cubes, and then fill about 2/3 to 3/4 of the way full with tea concentrate.  
To make it lemony and extra creamy use either 10% or 18% table cream mixed with 1 drop of Young Living Lemon essential oil (or try lemongrass EO) mix the cream and lemon oil before pouring over the tea.  

If you don't want it lemony, then just omit the essential oil. 

I used a combination of 2% milk with a bit of whipping cream, because that's what I had, but I'll pick up some 10% cream for the future...or maybe 18% if I'm feeling really dangerous. lol

I would also like to try it with coconut milk too.
I wonder how that would be?  
Let me know if you try it!


I am a Young Living Independent Distributor, which means I buy my essential oils at the wholesale price rather than the retail price. I save 24% off retail, receive discounted shipping, and can earn free products through the Essential Rewards program as well as the ability to earn commissions. 

If you would like to become an Independent Distributor, I would love to sponsor you!  You can click HERE and enter 2066298 in the “Sponsor  and Enroller ID” boxes. 
I am always happy to answer any questions!  Email me at thepureoil@gmail.com


No comments:

Post a Comment